The Housing Secretary has announced:
- new funding for the replacement of unsafe cladding for all leaseholders in residential buildings 18 metres (6 storeys) and over in England;
- a new scheme for buildings between 11 and 18 metres for cladding removal, where needed, through a long-term, low interest, Government-backed financing arrangement;
- plans for a ‘Gateway 2’ developer levy, to apply when developers seek permission to develop certain high-rise buildings in England;
- a new tax for the UK residential property development sector;
- the Government will bring forward legislation this year to tighten the regulation of building safety and to review the construction products regime to prevent malpractice arising again.
If you wish to receive periodic updates on this or other topics related to UK real estate, subscribe to our Real Estate Insights mailing list.
For any other legal questions related to UK real estate, please get in touch with your usual Mayer Brown contact or one of the blog editors